Book Review: Yes Please



Author: Amy Poehler
Published: 2014
Publisher: Dey St.
Number of Pages: 329
My Rating: 4

Summary from GoodReads.com:

In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by.


Not that I am comparing the two in any way at all, but after I finished Bossypants by Tina Fey I immediately picked this one up next. As was the case with the previous book, I was in the middle of morning sickness when I started this audiobook and felt like I needed something to give me a good laugh to lighten my mood. This was definitely that book.

Yes Please is written by comedian Amy Poehler and highlights not only her career in comedy but also her early years and how she got to the point where she is currently. This did not feel like just another memoir, however. Amy Poehler jumped around from her years at Saturday Night Live, to her childhood, to motherhood, to the beginning of her career. She shared with us the stories we wanted to hear and even included some clips from her more famous scenes in SNL.

I loved listening to this on audiobook as Amy was the narrator and I felt like that aspect made the book even more enjoyable than it already was. I liked listening to her quirkiness and sarcasm and that really contributed to this being a fast listen.

One thing that I was somewhat conflicted about was all of her guest readers and commenters. While at times it proved to be funny or comical, there were other times that I felt it took away from the actual story and got kind of old after awhile. I had trouble trying to hear some of their sidebar conversation and it didn’t make sense unless you were really familiar with the characters and plot lines they were talking about.

Overall, this was exactly what I expected it would be. It was light and comical, full of insights and wisdom, but also full of laughs and comedy. Poehler was a great reader and did a wonderful job sharing her story, so far, with us. I would recommend listening to this if you are looking for a book that will make you laugh out loud in the park or spit your coffee out in the car. All I have to say about this one is, yes please!





-Busy Brunette

Labels: ,