Book Review: The Couple Next Door



My rating: 2

When my book club first chose The Couple Next Door, I was extremely excited. I have been really into suspenseful books that prove to be page-turners, which is how everyone described this one, and I don't deny that. However, overall, I was not that impressed with this popular hit.

The story is about a couple with a young baby who are invited to a dinner party next door. The babysitter cancels at the last minute and since no babies are allowed, the husband (Marco) convinces the wife (Anne) to just use the monitor and check on the baby every half hour. Weird to begin with, am I right?

They go home after the dinner party to discover the baby is missing, and the rest of the story is about them trying to find her while the police try to figure out who is to blame, and if the baby is dead or alive. The plot was fast at first but really began to become repetitive and slow as the book progressed. The whole thing also began to remind me of a certain movie (do you know it?), which left me feeling slightly cheated.

They end up revealing who stole the baby (guessed it) and added an ending that you would never predict, however, I cannot say that I feel this was a wise choice or that it added any real value to the book. In fact, I think it really just pissed me off more and made me mad I wasted my time.

Overall, not worth the hype the book is receiving and definitely not my cup of tea. Did you read it? What did you think?


-Busy Brunette 

Labels: ,