Book Review: Pretty Girls



My Rating: 4

Have you ever read a book that was so dark and twisted that you literally felt like you lost a piece of your innocence after finishing it? Yeah, that’s what I felt as I was reading Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter.

Needless to say, this book threw me for quite the loop. I was expecting a story about missing girls (which I got), what I wasn’t expecting, however, was an extremely graphic tale of violence and gore full of shocking scenarios and senseless acts that would leave me slightly traumatized and lying awake at night thinking about (which is what I also got).

I’m not trying to be dramatic with this review, but honestly, this book will seriously mess you up. It is not at all for the faint of heart and it will exhaust you every time you finish a chapter. Still with me? Don’t say I didn’t warn you…

Pretty Girls was a crazy psychological thriller that continued to throw plot twists and mysteries at me until I didn’t think I could handle it anymore, then it took a sharp left turn again and again. I literally never saw a majority of this book coming and I promise you won’t be disappointed in the suspense or the details. You won’t be able to figure this one out and you will be shocked at every twist.

Overall, I loved how real and raw the characters were. Both sisters Claire and Lydia had their own issues and I liked that they weren’t the typical perfect heroines. The entire book was full of vivid descriptions which really put you into the story- both a good thing and a bad thing. I definitely need a break from psychological thrillers after reading this one but I know that I will be back for more from this author just as long as it has nothing to do with pretty girls.

-Busy Brunette

Labels: ,