Book Review: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone


My rating: 5/5

I’m baaaaaaaaack! And what a good first book to start the new year.

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone was all over the charts last year when it first debuted, and for good reason. With an eye-catching title and human curiosity for mental health at an all-time high, this book takes us behind the scenes of a therapist’s world while also bringing the therapy process to the foreground, as our narrator goes through her own therapy sessions following an unexpected breakup. 

I loved having the two different perspectives and I feel like it really pushed the book along at a fast pace. It was fascinating to learn various insights regarding the therapy process, both from the lens of the professional in the chair and that of the patient on the couch. I feel like I learned a lot about myself through reading this book and I think most readers would agree that many lessons were applicable to our own lives. 

Throughout her whole life, the author had wanted to find a meaningful career that she could tell people’s stories and appreciate their journey. Although her numerous other career paths did not end up being that (show writer, doctor), it seems that combining her love of therapy and her love of writing ended up paying off for all of us. 

If you are searching for a great work of nonfiction that will read like a novel and self-help guide all in one, then maybe you should read this book. 


-Busy Brunette 

Labels: ,